|Death: ||May 3, 1678|
The son of WILLIAM & JOANNA (BLESSING)TOWNE, he was baptized on June 28, 1628 at St. Nicholas Parish, Great Yarmouth, Norwich, Norfolk, England. He came to Massachusetts Bay Colony from England in 1637, probably on the good ship, ROSE OF YARMOUTH, at the age of eighteen apprenticed to Henry Skerry who settled in Salem.
He married Mary Browning on March 25, 1652 at Topsfield in Mass. Bay Colony where they lived until death. He was a juror in 1655, a commissioner in 1661, and a freeman in 1664. In June, 1666, he was appointed Corporal of the Topsfield military company and in 1674, he was part of a committee to petition the Court for permission to form a military guard to protect the settlers. He was called "Sergeant Towne" in the Topsfield records in 1677.
He died intestate (without a will). His wife presented an "Intent and Purpose" that the mind of the deceased was the same as hers regarding the distribution of his estate, which was to equally divide the estate amoung the five girls, only Sarah, the second daughter, being married and have already received 25 pounds. Administration was granted to the widow, Mary Towne, on April 27, 1678. The inventory was taken by FRANCIS PEABODY, Thomas' son-in-law, and Thomas Baker, which included land (excluding land inherited from father-in-law, THOMAS BROWNING) worth 292 pounds.
Children of Edmund & Mary (Browning) Towne:
1. Mary (Towne) Prichard b. 1653, m. John Prichard
2. Thomas Towne (1655-1720), m. Sarah French
3. Sarah (Towne) Howe b. April 26, 1657, m. John Howe
4. John Towne b. April 2, 1658
5. William Towne (1659-1750), m. Margaret Willard
6. Joseph Towne (1661-1717), m. Amy Smith
7. ABIGAIL (TOWNE) PEABODOY PERLEY, m. (1) JACOB PEABODY and (2) Thomas Perley
8. Benjamin Towne b. May 26, 1666
9. Rebecca Towne b. Feb. 2, 1668
10. Elizabeth Town b. Nov. 2, 1669, m. Thomas Wilkins
11. Samuel Towne (1673-1714), m. Elizabeth Knight
Note: Edmund Towne was the brother of Rebecca (Towne) Nurse and Mary (Towne) Esty/Easty, who were both executed during the Salem Witch Trials.
William Towne (1598 - 1673)
Joanna Blessing Towne (1594 - 1682)
Mary Browning Towne (1637 - 1717)
Abigail Towne Perley (1664 - 1712)*
Samuel Towne (1673 - 1714)*
Susanna Towne Hayward*
Rebecca Towne Nurse (1622 - 1692)*
John Towne (1624 - ____)*
Edmund Towne (1628 - 1678)
Jacob Towne (1631 - 1704)*
Mary Towne Easty (1634 - 1692)*
Sarah Towne Clayes (1637 - 1703)*
Joseph Towne (1639 - 1713)*
Created by: Nareen, et al
Record added: Sep 05, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 41587511