1) OECONYMS: Slovenian gravestones often contain oeconyms (farm/house names, hišna imena). Sometimes it isn't clear which name is the surname and which the oeconym. In some cases I've entered oeconyms as surnames when no surname is available. Corrections are appreciated. Try searching an individual Slovenian cemetery by first name instead of last name if you think a memorial may have been entered using an oeconym.
2) DIACRITICS: This site no longer searches for many special characters (čšž äöüß etc.); searching for them returns reconfigured names (e.g., looking for "Božič" returns only "Boi"). To find such records, try searching by truncated last names ("Bo" for "Božič"), and/or first names that don't have diacritics ("Zofija Bo" for "Zofija Božič," "Marica" for "Marica Črv"). (Select "Do partial name search on surname".) Also try scanning known cemeteries ("View all interments"), which is a good idea anyhow because of spelling variations.
Another option: enter "site:.findagrave.com" (without quotes) followed by a space and the name you are searching for into your web browser (e.g., "site:.findagrave.com božič").
3) ALPHABETIZATION: Names with diacritics don't properly alphabetize (ČABC...XÜYZÄÖŠŽ), so be sure to scan up and down lists when searching.
4) WRONG CHARACTERS: This site used to convert some letters with diacritics (e.g., č > è). I've updated my entries to fix this (please let me know if you see any I missed).
5) SISTORY links: Many of my wartime memorials include information (dates, places, relations) from the SiStory website. Any web addresses given were accurate at the time posted, but some of the ID numbers have changed over time.
KLOBUCAR Donald, you are in the care of the memorials of Matija Klobucar #84959046 and his wife Marija. I was wondering if you are related to them. The reason I'm asking is that I am trying to connect some of the Slovenians in the Joliet/Rockdale area in Will Co. IL to my family. The families are Marentic/Marentich, Malneric/Maleric/Malarich, and Klobucar/Klobuchar. If your not related do you know anyone who is related or who may have some family research that may help me. The information I have is incomplete. I'm missing the names of cousins, who they married, and their children. You or anyone else can contact me directly at email@example.com or leave a message on my message board. Thank you.
RE: Photo Request (Memorial# 156558700) Thanks for your quick response. I just read the information on her in my family tree. She is buried with her newborn daughter in an unmarked grave so no photo available.
Photo Request I am have only been a member for a year and I want to request a photo so can you help me through how to do that? I created a Find A Grave for Anna Marie Meyer who is the spouse to John Suennen that you created. She is buried in Winesville Cemetery in Porterfield Township, Marinette County.
Norway ancestors Greetings and early wishes for a Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Thank you for recent edits to correct place of death in NORWAY for some of my ancestors. Memorial#'s 52051023 and 52051039 have been corrected. So confusing to choose which "Fylke" [County] in Norway, and then to choose a Municipality within that county, and then a town. I didn't know there actually was a town, city, or area called Viste in Norway. Thank you for submitting those edits!
Death: Apr. 3, 1879 Viste Vestre Slidre kommune Oppland fylke, Norway
Russell Falconer To get your request for a photo of this grave site at Live Oak Memorial Park in Monrovia, California it would help if you could call the cemetery and obtain the grave location and add that information to your request.
They are very busy but they do respond to requests but you might have to leave them your email or telephone number so that they can contact you with the grave location at a time to suit their work schedule.